Thursday, July 3, 2008

Creativity



"I believe music releases a creativity that stays blocked otherwise. And not just listening – but singing. Yes, I believe everyone ought to sing! " -- Dan Miller

I am not sure if music releases the creativity in me but I sure love listening to music and at times, singing along to songs that I am familiar with. Music has been an important part of my life since I was a teen (which is ages ago). Still remember that I would always have my radio on or the earphones of my Walkman (that would give you an idea how long ago this is...no such thing as iPod back then) to my ears whenever I was doing my schoolwork. Lots of people, especially the older generation, had questioned the wisdom of listening to music while studying but it worked for me and still works for me. I am still in the habit of listening to music while I work.

So, did music releases the creativity in me? Perhaps, if I look at creativity in all its wonderful glorious aspects. For a long time the word "creativity" always make me envious because I saw it as the ability to draw, to sing, to play musical instruments, in another word "artistic", abilities that I don't believe I have. Now, I start to understand that "creativity" encompassses so much more than that. Being creative means having the ability to produce or bring about something wholly or partly new and useful whether or not it is related to arts. It is also the ability to imagine new possibilities and the ability in seeing or performing something in a manner different from what was thought possible or normal previously. And this includes things as grand and great as inventing something new in the medical arena to small but significant everyday things like teaching babies and toddlers, playing with them or even persuading the pre-schooler to try new food. So perhaps there's hope for ordinary people like me to feel bursts of creativity now and then.

Though knowing that creativity is not confined to just music and art, I still very much want my children to be able to play some musical instruments, preferably piano and violin. This is because I believe music helps a child to develop both brains - the right and left brain - simultaneuosly when they are learning (this is another topic worth pursuing next time) and playing music. By this, it will help in their problem-solving skills, analytical skills and of course their creativity. And I will be overjoyed if they are gifted with a great voice to sing too. Not that I want them to pursue a career as a pianist, violinist or singer but I have always feel that music is a great way to express one's feelings. Just as the quote say, "Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" -- Red Auerbac.










No comments: